Gatt's Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2005

A day for my computer... (Part 1 of 2)

Harvard Law: Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure, temperature, volume, humidity, and other variables, the organism will do as it damn well pleases.

I woke up late in the morning and I was surprised to see my computer switched off. Actually, mine is a AT form factor SMPS and hence the computer's power switch is push button type. So, I was about to switch on my PC. And again to my surprise, the button was still in the pushed (ON) state. Thought that it could be due to a power failure during the night which I might have been unaware of.

So I hard booted my PC and everything was working fine. I began with my usual work of checking mails, browsing for torrents and reading reviews. Time started to roll... - untill it was about 2:35 PM. I heard a crackling noise from my Sony 48X CD ROM drive and the PC turned off by itself. Still I felt the problem was only with the drive and not with my computer as the drive was already in a faulty state. So, I opened the cabinet, unplugged the drive, took it out and replaced it with a blank drive slot. I hard booted my PC again. Then I happened to see an error in the BIOS screen which I haven't seen ever in my PC. A "BIOS Checksum Error" and it contained a message that the Fail-Safe defaults have been loaded into the BIOS. As I could barely imagine, all the settings in my BIOS have been modified and set to the default values.

I changed the settings, saved it and rebooted the PC. After Windows loaded, I straight away opened the browser and searched for "BIOS Checksum Error". Now, I've found out what the problem was.. It was with the CMOS battery - it has gone very weak.

Symptoms:

1. Frequent BIOS checksum error

2. System Date and Time - either gets reset when computer is booted or doesn't roll when computer is switched off.

So I went to the nearest hardware pheripheral shop and bought the CMOS Battery - Maxell CR 2032 which costed Rs. 10/-. I replaced the battery in my motherboard and everything was working fine after that.

I browsed the internet and found some interesting torrents which I thought could be shared and started to download them. Again I heard a crackling noise. This time I was sure that the noise was not from the CD drive. I analysed where it came from... - the noise was produced due to some spark which was generated in the SMPS. And again there went off, the power of my computer! This time I was shocked!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home