Answer for the puzzle
Hola Bloggers!!
The N-1 Law: If you need four screws for the job, the first three are easy to find.
Morning, I came up with a hilarious idea of puzzling the visitors and guess what! It actually did. I had very few comments on the puzzle. But I guess that's okay to start with.
Well, the most deceptive answer one could get is 80. The right answer turns out to be 31. Here's how (the way I got the answer):
Assume the shop has "X" no. of breads in it.
The puzzle says the first guy eats half of the total and 1/2 of a bread that means:
He eats X/2 + 0.5 breads. Remaining no. of breads is X - (X/2 + 0.5) = (X - 1)/2 (or) X/2 - 0.5
Similarly remaining no. of breads after the second guy gratifies his wishes:
(to simplify the calculation assume (X - 1)/2 as X in the previous step and proceed)
(X - 1)/4 - 0.5 = (X - 1 - 2)/4
I guess one would be able to find out the sequence involved now... Remaining no. of breads after everyone finishes eating:
(X - 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16)/32 = 0. ==> X = 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 = 31.
So, the second law of blissful ignorance turned out to be right - ain't it?
What's next? Want more puzzles? Pour in your feelings as comments... ;-)
Adios
The N-1 Law: If you need four screws for the job, the first three are easy to find.
Morning, I came up with a hilarious idea of puzzling the visitors and guess what! It actually did. I had very few comments on the puzzle. But I guess that's okay to start with.
Well, the most deceptive answer one could get is 80. The right answer turns out to be 31. Here's how (the way I got the answer):
Assume the shop has "X" no. of breads in it.
The puzzle says the first guy eats half of the total and 1/2 of a bread that means:
He eats X/2 + 0.5 breads. Remaining no. of breads is X - (X/2 + 0.5) = (X - 1)/2 (or) X/2 - 0.5
Similarly remaining no. of breads after the second guy gratifies his wishes:
(to simplify the calculation assume (X - 1)/2 as X in the previous step and proceed)
(X - 1)/4 - 0.5 = (X - 1 - 2)/4
I guess one would be able to find out the sequence involved now... Remaining no. of breads after everyone finishes eating:
(X - 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16)/32 = 0. ==> X = 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 = 31.
So, the second law of blissful ignorance turned out to be right - ain't it?
What's next? Want more puzzles? Pour in your feelings as comments... ;-)
Adios

1 Comments:
Certainly not. lol! :-)
By
Ganesh Anand T T, at Friday, April 22, 2005 8:29:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home